Monday, January 25, 2010

lundi

Back at school. Starting off week 3/6 was crazy! I can't believe I am almost halfway done! It was a really fun day.

I don't know if it is just because I understand what the kids are saying now, or if they only now are beginning to talk about me to my face like this, but I am assuming the latter. It is funny because I have to remind them that I can understand and hear them. Despite my appearance for the first half of my stay, I am, in fact, not deaf. I know. Shocking.

They have begun to refer to me as "America"...I am pretty sure none of them actually know my name. This idea comes from the fact that (1) they ask each other "quietly" and "discreetly" allll the time, (2) they still call me "la corres", or the exchange student. This is a little sad considering that I have almost all 30 of their names down, and they only need to remember one, but I forgive them. Ha.

Meanwhile, they have begun to notice the advantage of having "America" here to help them. Their English homework gets done in record time along with their sciences which, since I am a year older, I have all seen before. In addition, "America" offers constant entertainment. You can ask her dumb questions like, "Do you know any celebrities personally?" (I mean, you live in the U.S. after all, they must be everywhere...) You can interrogate her about how long she is staying here (for the 500th time). You can ask her if she is enjoying life in France. Then not believe here when she says she likes it. You can wow her with your knowledge of French pasteries and cheese she has not yet encountered. For the boys on the skinny side, she offers the possibility of a check in the win column at arm wrestling (but not without a long, hard struggle). AND you can serenade her with English song lyrics you don't understand, but she does.

"America" offers a lot of possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment